Good project management is essential for all projects, from a large-scale building project to developing a receptionist training programme. It helps make the most of resources available and can prevent expensive mistakes further down the line.
This course gives an understanding of why project management is important and how simple principles and techniques support the effective delivery of change, whether to individual roles and functions or entire organisations. It addresses the different elements in developing a project, running it and assessing its success.
The course looks at the range of elements in managing a project. It looks at how to involve the right people, organise the timescales for the project and communicate with others as the project is delivered.
This course enables you to:
- Understand the principles of project management
- Make the most of time and other resources
- Overcome initial stumbling blocks
- Define a project and ensure each stage can be understood and implemented effectively
- Plan and cost a project
- Identify tools to keep projects on time and on budget
- Form project teams with the right blend of knowledge and experience
- Find out what causes projects to go wrong
- Understand the processes that manage change, risk and quality in a project.
The course is aimed at everyone who has responsibility for any project or who is part of a larger project team. It highlights the importance of project management in delivering successful change and development at all levels. The course gives all the basic information and knowledge for good project management in any role.
What is project management?
- What is a project?
- What are the stages of a project?
- What is project management?
- What project management techniques can I use?
- What are the constraints?
Defining the project
- Who identifies the need for a project?
- Who is involved at the project definition stage?
- How do we define customer needs?
- How do I write a project brief?
- What happens once the project gets the go-ahead?
- What is my role as project manager?
- How do I build a project team?
Beginning the project
- What are the stages of planning a project?
- How do I set milestones?
- How do I plan in detail?
- What resources do I need?
- How do I evaluate the project risks?
- What controls and processes need to be in place?
- How should I launch a project?
Managing the project
- What leadership should I provide?
- How can I monitor and control the project?
- How should I react when things aren’t going to plan?
- How do I make sure my team pulls together and holds together?
- How do I make best use of my time?
- How can I monitor project risk?
- What is change control?
Finishing the project
- What do I do when the project is finished?
- What can we learn from completed projects?
- How do I make sure the handover goes smoothly?
- How can I judge the success of the project?
Course participant comments
“Reconfirmed the steps taken to deliver a project. I have learned the skills to deliver a project on a larger scale in the future”
“It gave a great insight into project management especially for someone with no project management experience”